Sunday, May 29, 2011

Polar Heart Rate Monitor

Yesterday I bought a Polar Heart Rate monitor. Yesterday was a rest day, so I decided to wear it just to get some insight on daily activities. Here are some quick ones:

* While sitting down watching TV or reading, my heart rate was about 62-65.

* While lying down, my heart rate was between 55 and 58. By definition this is my Resting Heart Rate (i.e., lying down, but awake).

* While driving, my heart rate was about 63-66. Not much difference than sitting.

* They talk about the thermodynmic effect of food. I don't see it on the heart rate monitor. Heart rate about 62-65 while eating a big meal, same as sitting.

* Walking around the the heart responded pretty quickly to how fast I was walking. It was between 80 and 100. It also lowered when walking downstairs.

* The chest strap is not too uncomfortable. However, I am a small guy at about 175lb. There was only 2.5" of slack in the strap. What does Polar do for normal sized athletes.

* Looking to try this with DDR (weighted, vest, snorkel, HoC) and kettlebells and just walking around.

* I have never been a real HR monitor guys, because most anything I need to see related to heart rate I can observe through other means, like breathing, bar/bell speed, performance, or degree of sweating.

No comments:

Post a Comment